What is upcycling
The word 'upcycling' refers to the creation of new objects from waste materials, textiles, product components that would normally be thrown away. Thanks to upcycling, however, these objects acquire a new purpose. The term 'upcycling' literally translates as 'recycling better' or 'improving recovery', indicating the action of recycling a waste material by making it better. A true art of repurposing materials. An object with a simple storage function, for example, is destined to be thrown away once its contents run out. Thanks to upcycling, it can find new life by being used for new purposes, such as a design object, an original gift box, etc...
Today, this activity between art and recycling is very successful all over the world, both among private do-it-yourself lovers and great designers.
With upcycling we can create unique and original products, helping to reduce environmental impact.
Not to be confused with recycling
The term upcycling was first used in 1994 by mechanical engineer Reiner Pilz, who defined the difference between recycling and upcycling: 'I call recycling down-cycling. What we need is up-cycling, by which old products are given more value, not less".
Indeed, recycling means reusing the waste of an object with the same original purpose. An example is glass bottles, which thanks to the characteristics of their material can be used as containers for liquids indefinitely. Upcycling, on the other hand, promotes the requalification of the product, which when its original life cycle ends is transformed and used with a new function.
Recycling and upcycling are part of the same project to reduce environmental impact, with a substantial difference in the process of reusing objects. Two sides of the same coin in the fight against waste and for sustainability.
- Create unique products: how much satisfaction can be given by the phrase 'I made it'! Whether it's a new vase or a new chaise-longue, transforming an object through upcycling can become a funny passion
- It promotes savings: for example, by extending the life cycle of a product's packaging by creating an item from only waste materials, we avoid buying new things that we probably wouldn't really need. Less is more
- Protects the environment: upcycling reduces waste and consumption of raw materials, a virtuous example of a circular economy in full respect of nature
How to do upcycling
Which objects and materials can we upcycle? Everything! From furniture to clothing, anything can be turned into a new design product.
Is upcycling for anyone? Absolutely yes, all it takes is a bit of imagination. In do-it-yourself, the only limit is imagination!
You can also unleash your creative vein with Sendo Concept cosmetics: don't throw jars and bottles away, turn them into new, elegant and functional objects!
Below you will find some simple ideas for reusing the containers of your favourite Sendo Concept products:
- The jars of Hair Care hair masks and Skincare face creams and the aluminum jars of Melting products can become an original candle holder, a practical doorstop, a container for tidying up spices and tea in the kitchen or an elegant holder for re-organizing the office desk
- Bottles of Hair Care shampoos and cosmetics from the All Care line can be transformed into flower, candle or pen holders
You can create an infinite range of original and sustainable gift ideas from a simple cosmetic container.
Keep in touch! Subscribe our newsletter to keep up to date with all the latest news from Sendo. Immediately for you a discount code to get 10% off your first purchase. We are waiting for you!