Whether you have combination, oily-prone, or sensitive skin, the key is the same: hydration. Keeping skin hydrated is a great way to keep it beautiful and above all healthy, regardless of the skin type.
Keeping the skin hydrated is not just a cosmetic need: the skin is the largest organ in our body, which performs an impressive amount of complex functions. Last but not least: acting as a barrier and a shield against external agents, such as temperature changes, bacteria, and pollution, to name a few.
While carrying out our daily vital functions, the skin releases steam. This function is essential to thermoregulate our body but involves the so-called transepidermal water loss (TEWL). When this water loss becomes excessive, without being properly balanced, the skin suffers, and its appearance too. Very often, moreover, skin dehydration is only the visible side of the overall dehydration of our body.
Various factors can contribute to the dehydration process, here are some of them:
One of the main reasons for dehydration has to do with our habits. It may seem obvious but… drinking an adequate amount of water is crucial for a hydrated body. Often due to the lack of the feeling of thirst, especially as we get older, most of us tend to drink less water than we need.
Unhealthy habits, such as smoking and excessive alcohol consumption, combined with salty foods, contribute to accelerating dehydration.
Unprotected exposure to the sun and climatic changes are other factors that can have an impact on dehydration.
Frequent use of detergents way too harsh, or not suitable for our skin, is one of the most common causes of loss of hydration in the epidermis.
Dehydrated skin can be recognized at a glance, because it tends to be dull, uneven, sagging, and aging, giving the face the classic tired look. So what can we do to avoid or at least limit skin dehydration?
- Let's start with the simple and intuitive advice: drink more water! Trying to increase our fluid intake is certainly a great way to improve the overall health of our body, and consequently also that of our skin.
#SendoWouldSay: always carry a reusable water bottle with you, to refill it when needed. And if that's not enough, you can download an app that reminds you to drink throughout the day!
- Expose to the sun with adequate protection: always wear a sunblock during the day, and reapply it frequently, both on the beach and in the city. It will also help to counteract oxidative stress and the consequent photo-aging.
#SendoWouldSay: Remember to reapply solar protection throughout the day to ensure you are properly protected. Hats and sunglasses are another way to shield your skin from the sun!
- Avoid excessive consumption of meat and animal derivatives: another way to limit dehydration is to intervene in our diet, limiting dairy products, eggs, meat, and the consumption of alcoholic beverages.
#SendoWouldSay: eating fruits and vegetables several times during the day is a great habit, which in addition to improving our hydration ensures a daily intake of vitamins, minerals and fiber.
- Smoking has harmful effects on the whole body, skin included: it accelerates oxidative processes and dehydration, while being harmful to those around us. Quitting smoking is undoubtedly a wise choice, from which the skin will also benefit.
#SendoWouldSay: there is only one advice here... We know it's easier said than done, but it's worth trying to quit smoking! You won't regret it.
- Create a hydration-focused skincare routine: skincare is an excellent ally to counteract dehydration. The main ingredient to keep the skin hydrated is hyaluronic acid in different molecular weights, with different penetration capacities. This molecule can retain ten times its weight in water and is widely used in cosmetics thanks to its high compatibility with our skin.
#SendoWouldSay: maximize the hydration by applying your hyaluronic acid serums on damp skin.
These few simple tips will help you improve your skin's moisture level and keep it healthy. Other than our face, it's important not to neglect the skin on our body, and for this reason, Sendo created the All Care line, to gently cleanse and hydrate the skin of the whole family. Discover Nourishing Body Fluid. available also in travel size 75ml!
Ready for the next #BeautyRoutine tips?
Subscribe to the Sendo newsletter to receive them directly in your inbox.
Sendo team is waiting for you!